Joe can cook!

Monday, January 14, 2008


No, I'm nowhere as good as Yan or Emeril or Bobby Flay, but I do really enjoy cooking. Especially for big family things. Do others enjoy my dabbling in chef-dom? I guess that's the question. I am by no means a pro(understatement of the century) and most of what I do is learned from TV (Yes, i do watch Food Network) and the internet. I like to try new things and my family is usually the guinea pigs. The boys like almost anything I make, but erika is a little more picky. I like pretty much anything so it's not hard to please myself. My manly ego has nothing to do with me liking my own stuff. Anyway, I get bored eating the same foods all the time and cooking my own meals is a way for me to experiment. Nice hot soups in the winter, tasty BBQ in the summer. It's also relaxing and therapeutic in a way. So, if you have any good dishes that you like to make, I would love to get them from you! Just email Joe.

4 comments:

Bree said...

You gotta try this web site! http://food.yahoo.com/everyday/dinner/
I kind of liked the recipes!
~Bree

Bree said...

Green Chili chicken enchiladas
Cook temperature: 350-375 degrees

3-4 boneless chicken breast (cooked and shredded)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
¼ cup sour cream
1 small can of green chili (chopped)
¼ cup water
1 pkg of flour or corn tortillas

Instructions: On low, mix both cans of cream of chicken soup, sour cream and small can of green chili’s, and water. (You can add ½ cup of water instead of ¼ to make more sauce.)
Pre-cook chicken then just shred. (amount depends on how much meat you prefer). You can substitute beef or pork as well.
Put into 9x13 pan/dish. Spray it with “pam no stick” spray, pour thin layer of sauce covering the whole bottom.
*corn tortillas, dip in boiling water for a second. Layer enough to cover the bottom. Then sprinkle chicken and cheese and pour sauce all over it. Continue, for about 3-4 layers. On the top layer, after you put the tortillas on it, pour the remaining sauce all over it, then sprinkle cheese. (chicken will sometimes burn on the top layer, so don’t put on the top.)
*flour tortillas, heat for about 15 seconds in microwave. Then put chicken, cheese and sauce in the tortilla and roll like a burrito. Place in pan. ( it can fit 7-8 full tortilla rolls) then when done, pour remaining sauce on top and sprinkle cheese on it. the sauce needs to cover the whole tortilla. Make sure sides get some too. (this makes it less likely to burn the tortillas.)
Cook time: Until the cheese is completely melted. If it’s refrigerated before cooking Until the cheese is melted, and hot all the way through.
LET COOL BEFORE SERVING! *HOT*

Bree said...

Your welcome, hope you like it! My husband cooks… Its not dorky! Yeah I’m proud of my kids, but isn’t that my job? You boys are way cute too. 3 kids isn’t that bad, especially if the two older ones are older. Think about how you would feel if they were girls and you were out numbered! I would think about it for Eirkas sake! I do love the weather here it just STINKS! We live next to the pig farm (if you watch “dirty jobs” it’s the pig farm that guy went to). I think we’ll be moving really soon though. Owen is looking at jobs in Texas or Illinois. Only for 1-2 years though then we’ll be moving to Idaho or back to Utah. We miss the mountains and the GREEN! lol

Bree said...

Jana's my sister! She has to say that our kids are cute, but thanks! Owen is a fun guy... Sometimes a little to adventurious!Getting outta Utah was a good thing, it gives you a view on the rest of the world and the beople outta the BOX. It's been a fun adventure. I think it's good for people to get outta their home towns for a while. (;