12:34:56 7/8/9

Tuesday, July 7, 2009


A hundred isn't all that big of a number for us big kids anymore...A hundred dollars, a hundred minutes, a hundred pounds, a hundred friends. They all seem so big to a little tot, but those things are relatively small once you grow up, or get bigger. Ok, maybe that last one is harder to come by. I think I'm up to about 7 friends now, but I can feel 100 coming! I started thinking about this because I got a tweet (yes, I do love twitter) informing me of something that will be happening tomorrow, or tonight, depending on how you see it. Shortly after midnight tonight something will happen that only happens once every century, it will be 12:34:56 7/8/9. It may not seem like a big deal (and it's really not), but when you think about how it has to be the right time down to the seconds in the right month of the right year it really is kinda cool and interesting. I am somewhat of a nerd so dumb things like this are interesting to me. Will i stay up late tonight and have a party to celebrate? No. I have to work tomorrow.
This did get me thinking though. What else happens once in a century? How rare is it for something to happen only once every hundred years? And somehow I got to thinking about my family and my life. EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE will only happen once. I was reminded of a saying, "Kids won't remember their best day of watching TV" or something along those lines. The point being that I should help my kids to make the most of their childhoods. I knew a wise, well-to-do, financial planner once that said not to waste money on things, but to invest in memories. Take trips, go places, do things with your family that you will remember. So, I'm trying to take that to heart and help my family become stronger through activity with each other. I've seen families that are good examples of this and families that aren't. I know which type I want to be.

1 comments:

beverly said...

wow i love this post, joe.